- Céline : When someone’s always around me, I’m suffocating.
- Jesse : No, wait, you just said that you need to love and be loved.
- Céline : Yeah, but when I do, it quickly makes me nauseous. It’s a disaster. I mean, I’m really happy only when I’m on my own. Even being alone, it’s better than sitting next to a lover and feeling lonely. It’s not so easy for me to be a romantic. You start off that way, and after you’ve been screwed over a few times… you forget about your delusional ideas and you take what comes into your life. That’s not even true. I haven’t been screwed over… I’ve just had too many blah relationships. They weren’t mean, they cared for me… but there were no real connection or excitement. At least, not from my side.
- Jesse : God, I’m sorry, is it really that bad ? It’s not, right ?
- Céline : You know, it’s not even that. I was… I was fine until I read your fucking book. It stirred shit up, you know ? It reminded me how genuinely romantic I was… how I had so much hope in things… and now it’s like I don’t believe in anything that relates to love. I don’t feel things for people anymore. In a way, I put all my romanticism into that one night… and I was never able to feel all this again. Like, somehow this night took things away from me… and I expressed them to you, and you took them with you. It made me feel cold, like love wasn’t for me.
- Jesse : I don’t believe that. I don’t believe that.
- Céline : You know what ? Reality and love are almost contradictory for me.
- Céline : I know it’s my fault because I never felt it was the right man. Never. But what does it mean, the right man, the love of your life? The concept is absurd. We can only be complete with another person. It’s evil, right ?
- Jesse : Can I talk?
- Céline : I guess I’ve been heartbroken too many times and then I recovered. So now, you know, from the starts, I make no effort. know it’s not gonna work out.
- Jesse : You can’t do that. You can’t live trying to avoid pain…at the expense…
- Céline : Those are words. I’ve gotta get away from you.
- Jesse : I’m just happy to see you. Even if you’ve become an angry, manic-depressive activist… I still like you, I still enjoy being around you.
- Céline :And I feel the same. I’m sorry. I don’t know what happened, I just… I had to let it all out.
- Jesse : Don’t worry about it.
- Céline : I’m so miserable in my love life, in my relationship. I always act as… Like, you know, I’m detached. But I’m dying inside. I’m dying because I’m so numb. I don’t feel pain or excitement, I’m not even bitter, I’m just…